Monday, March 18, 2013

Welcome to I Thought I'd Be Done by Now


Welcome!

Welcome to the I Thought I’d Be Done by Now blog! I am excited to be able to share some of what I’ve learned as a therapist and a parent and to give you a forum for sharing your struggles and triumphs. Although my book and website are geared specifically toward mothers, these blog posts will be appropriate for mothers, fathers, adult children hoping to understand their parents, or anyone wanting to improve family relationships.

I come to this project with an open and humble heart and a desire both to share my journey and to continue to grow right along with you. What I like to write about is what feels alive to me at the moment, usually either a current situation between me and my kids or grand kids or a story I’ve just heard from a client or friend. Some themes I will be developing in this writing will include how we as parents can:

1. Be emotionally honest and vulnerable with ourselves and others.
2. Take responsibility for our mistakes, past and present, with gentle acceptance.
3. Live increasingly in the present moment, rather than in the past or future.
4. Admit to our need for personal growth and cultivate a desire to learn.
5. Let go of control, despite being terrified.
6. Learn to laugh at ourselves with soft and loving eyes.
7. Develop self-compassion: the art of thinking and speaking kindly to ourselves.

Practical suggestions, guidance, and lessons will also be offered regularly. I recognize that we are all works in progress, trudging along, likely doing the best we can as parents and human beings. That doesn’t mean we can’t, or won’t, do better. Here’s to a future of doing better and being better without judging where we are right now! May this writing help you remember that you are not alone.

If we choose to practice conscious, open-hearted parenting, it helps if we feel connected to others committed to this road less traveled - otherwise, it’s just too hard. 

Though I won't be able to respond to all posts, I will read your comments and share a few entries which seem relevant to the subject matter. Thank you for sharing, Please click on the envelope below or on link www.ithoughtidbedonebynow.blogspot.com and then envelope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Though I won't be able to respond to all posts, I will read your comments and share a few entries which seem relevant to the subject matter. Thank you for sharing.